FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - End of ID/BP cross-check at boarding in France for AF flights, starting May 15th
Old May 12, 2012, 11:15 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Richelieu
So, harmonization is the sole benefit? I'll sleep better tonight knowing that aircraft boarding procedures are identical in the Schengen space...
No, it is not harmonisation. It is much more than that - it is the right of free movement of people, the right to travel throughout the Schengen area (regardless of the mode of transportation) with the same ease as you would have to travel within your town or within your country and it is about the fact that any suspension of that right needs to be justified by the authorities which want to implement it. Latest polls show that for most citizens, borderlessness is the single most important symbol of European integration and it is great that at last, France will stop lagging behind.

I can completely understand that you don't think people have much of a reason to hate this particular suspension of the Schengen agreements, but it was a suspension (based on Vigipirate) and as all suspensions needed to be positively justifiable and justified (as with all cases of identity checks by or on behalf of) public authorities. And I for one did not see a justification to it in the sense that there is no reason to conduct match checks when people board a plane and not when they board a train.

So here is at least one very happy (and unashamedly europhile) person about the change because it strengthens the right of free movement within the EU and has my heart-felt support as such.