FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2012, 11:38 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
That trans-oceanic Connie has had me thinking. My HUNCH is that it is likely a South American carrier operating over to Madrid. There was also the Pacific Northern flight from Seattle to Kodiak, which was still a Constellation into 1967. That was more than 5 hours, almost entirely out across the North Pacific Ocean, away from land.
I've logged alot of flighte between Seattle and Alaska and I don't think we ever get more than about 20 miles from land. Check it out on a map. The route, even to Kodiak, is never far from the coast.

In terms of intercontinental trans-oceanic flights, here's what I've found so far from my November 1966 OAG:

Havana to Madrid: IBERIA Constellation via the Azores
Havana to Prague: CSA Czechoslovakian Brittania via Gander and Shannon
Perth to Johannesburg: QANTAS Electra via Christmas Island and Mauritius
Perth to Johannesburg: South African DC-7 via Christmas Island and Mauritius
New York to Luxembourg: Icelandic Loftledir via Iceland

Originally Posted by jlemon
And a related quiz item: name the respective airlines that operated the last scheduled passenger services between the West Coast and Hawaii with the Boeing 707, the Boeing 720B and the Douglas DC-8.
So far as I know, Western was the only 720 operator to Hawaii, though Northwest might have run one or two back in the early 1970s. I'm gonna go with Western on the 720B.

As for the DC-8 - man, it's a toss up between United's -71s and Hawaiian Air's -62s. I'm gonna go with United.

And now the 707... I'm thinking TWA. Maybe American on those daylight runs to Australia... Even Western ran 707s now and then... Pan Am and Braniff were done with 707s to Hawaii by the late seventies. Nah - let's go with TWA.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 10, 2012 at 11:51 pm