FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving from Indio to San Diego via the Pines to Palms Highway
Old May 8, 2012, 8:03 am
heraclitus

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Driving from Indio to San Diego via the Pines to Palms Highway

In a couple of weeks, I'll be heading from Indio to San Diego. I've never been to either place before and I'm wondering about which route to take.

Interestingly, I note that Google Maps recommends a route comprised mainly of I-10 and I-15 if you're starting out from Palm Springs, but from Indio it recommends taking the Pines to Palms Highway (CA 74) and then 371 and 79 to Temecula before heading south the rest of the way on I-15.

Being someone from the flat lands I'm interested in the mountain scenery of CA 74 but I'm also a bit curious as to whether this is a wise choice of route. Google Maps says it should take about 2.5 hours which is fine (I'd anticipate stopping at least a few times along the way to admire the view). But I was wondering if anyone can tell me:

1) is this a realistic time estimate, and

2) is this a good highway to take?

With mountain roads I'm never quite sure what I'm getting into. If this highway has a history of closures, accidents, congestion or other issues I might be inclined to just take the Interstate instead. (But I hope not because I'd really like to check it out.)

Also, if anyone has any advice on other routes - I had been considering driving past the Salton Sea and heading west to San Diego on CA 78/79 - it would be much appreciated!