FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2012, 10:42 pm
tonywestsider

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Speaking for myself at least, I take absolutely no offense as I hardly consider your comments "knocking down" so much as "adding to". If we were all sitting in a room somewhere having a conversation and I said "So far as I know UTA never operated Caravelles in the South Pacific" and you responded with "Actually, they did. They flew etc. etc." I think we'd all agree that such additions wouldn't be rude so much as good, enjoyable repartee from which we'd all benefit. Your knowledge of airlines and airliners is as extensive as it is impressive, so I think it's fair to say we all appreciate your comments and, as it may come up - corrections. It's worth noting however, again speaking only for myself, that the primary subject of my questions and answers are scheduled and charter airlines rather than corporate owned jetliners, of which I have neither knowledge or interest in. That said, information such as you've provided above can only add to the entertainment and information base hopefully provided in this thread, so it's all good.

By the way, jlemon, Hughes Airwest is indeed correct! My flight back to Denver routed SEA-GEG-LWS-BOI-TWF-SLC-DEN. Man, I sure miss those milkruns! Many of the segments were short enough that the flights weren't all that high and so they were like air tours of the American countryside.

My last flight on a 707 came in 1983 between Quito, Guayaquil and Miami aboard Ecuatoriana.

One of the finest views aloft
I screwed up regarding Mid-Pacific Air. Thanks for the corrections. My answer was just based on memory. I'm relying on you all to confirm and confirm you did.

Regarding the Caravelles in the south pacific, UTA always had me fooled. Growing up in Hawaii, they always marketed themselves as a South Pacific airline, as if they were based in PPT. They even had a route to my home city, PPT-HNL. I always used to see their green and blue colored DC-8s at HNL. I should have mentioned Air Calin but I did not get that far to check. But at least WHBM confirmed that UTA Caravelles did fly in the South Pacific and was based there but it wasn't the airline's headquarters. Oh well, at least I started a long conversation.

Last edited by tonywestsider; May 7, 2012 at 11:54 pm