FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you do when TSA instructions result in losing visual contact with property?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:42 am
andymo99

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, if I am moving to a place where they don't want me, are the clerks allowed to physically impede my progress? Are they able to touch me to hold me back?

I got a reply from TSA today from my email complaint. This one is disconcerting as it has one difference from all prior responses (emphasis added):

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) policy requires Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) to reasonably ensure that carry-on items, including disability-related devices and aids, are kept within a passenger’s line-of-sight when a passenger is required to undergo additional screening. When passengers cannot maintain line-of-sight with their property during a patdown or private screening, TSOs have been trained to maintain control and sight of the passenger’s items and to ensure that the passenger is reunited with his or her property once it clears x-ray screening.
So now they are saying that the TSOs are required to "reasonably" ensure that my item's are within sight. What is meant by "reasonably?" Also, for the first time, there is this language added about the TSOs somehow maintaining control and sight of my items when I can't do so. WHAT!? So now I am to trust that the TSO:
  • Is trustworthy and won't be part of a theft herself; AND
  • Has the ability to know what items belong to whom

Based on history, I am entirely unwilling to believe either premise.