FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RPUs still not clearing automatically
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012, 11:38 am
kb1992
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Exclamation

Originally Posted by uyflyer
An update on the RPU situation. I have a flight BOS-EWR-west-coast, with the EWR-west-coast segment upgraded at booking with an RPU. The leg BOS-EWR was waitlisted since R=RN=0 at that time. On Friday, that leg started showing R=RN=3 (the flight is in June, so this is not an artifact of being within the CPU window). Since this is a short flight, I decided to do a little experiment and wait for a few days to see if the system will catch up in one of its magical sweeps (I even waited over a Saturday night, just in case)..Nope. Availability stayed at R=3 and my upgrade stayed as "waitlisted". I finally called in today and had the agent manually force it (it took her a good 1/2 hour and a call to the IT people). She was very apologetic and nice through the entire process and at a loss to explain why the waitlisted upgrade did not clear. According to her, the pnr was flagged and sent to IT as "another one of those cases" for them to do a forensic analysis.

Moral: If you have a waitlisted upgrade and care about it, you still need to be proactive, periodically check for R space (or set EF for an alert) and then call. Ignore the advice of people that tell you to wait for a few days for the situation to resolve itself. This applies both to GPUs (had to do this in March) and RPUs.

IAD-LAX waitlisted by RPU

R5 this morning

Called 1K, the agent couldn't do it.

So canceled the upgrade, and go online to sponsor upgrade again using RPU. The upgrade went through.

But the initial RPU is not back??

Agent said it takes 24 hours? I need to babysit? Maybe it will never get back? This SHARE system sucks.