FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help needed for Amtrak California Zephyr Trip
Old May 6, 2012, 9:19 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ftbargain
(1) 40,000 miles is all you need for a 'Room' on Zephyr ? or is that only for the room and you have to pay more for your 'seat' ? Asking because, it appears its costing about $2500 if we are paying cash for the same.
Award tickets include rail fare. Cash tickets separate rail from accomodation
(2)Will they accomodate 4 of us to a non-family room ? I prefer non-family because it appears family rooms are in the lower level. Also, non-family has restroom with in it.
If they allow booking it as 4, it will be quite cozy. There are several restrooms downstairs (and a couple of showers) so they are usually available.
(3)Is lower level a real concern (compared to upper level) with regard to noise, view and common restrooms nearby ? I understand you can always enjoy the view from the upper viewer car
You might not have the best view from the lower level, you shouldn't have much people traffic and it will put you closer to your luggage.
(4)Is there any size limit on the carry-on luggage ? prefer to travel without checking bagage. It seems there is a luggage room on the lower level. You just keep your locked bag there with all others or there are big lockers there ?
No size limit. There are luggage racks downstairs. I haven't seen any lockers. Locked bags should be fine there.
(5)How about in-between snacks/soft drinks? Better to pack it or you can grab it for free ?
Water, coffee, and juices are usually available in the sleeper cars. No free sodas/snacks, but the cafe car is available during the day.
(6)How many suplerliner cars on a daily Zephyr ? (it seems there is only one family room in a car) When i try some mock redemptions on AGR website, it says 'Only one room available, Hurry' irrespective of the day I pick. Does it mean, there is only one AGR redeemable room on any given day ?
not sure
(7) If you book and decide to change the dates or cancel an AGR redemption booking, how it will work ?
Got to call. Inventory can change often
(8) We plan for a day tour (before noon) on SFO the next morning. Any recommendations?
Arrival times can vary greatly so plan accordingly. The bus transfer to SF does work, but a transfer to BART at the Richmond station is painless.
(9) Better time to take the trip ? Is mid august ok ? Prefer to see some snow en route.
Don't expect much in the way of snow in August.