FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help needed for Amtrak California Zephyr Trip
Old May 6, 2012, 8:46 am
megtravels

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by ftbargain
We are seriously thinking about taking the California Zephyr (chicago - sfo) for our 'vacation' trip. Family of four. Kids (6 and 4) are train fans and they literally beg for a train trip. As I have more than 40K points in AGR (chase cc converted to amtrak), we are thinking of doing it. I read a lot about it on the forums, but has some newbie questions. Appreciate advise. (sorry for long list; we've never been on long distance trains)

(1) 40,000 miles is all you need for a 'Room' on Zephyr ? or is that only for the room and you have to pay more for your 'seat' ? Asking because, it appears its costing about $2500 if we are paying cash for the same.

yes i think...i only ever used points for a sleeper...

(2)Will they accomodate 4 of us to a non-family room ? I prefer non-family because it appears family rooms are in the lower level. Also, non-family has restroom with in it.

if it says the room will hold 4 then you will be fine...squishy, but fine...

(3)Is lower level a real concern (compared to upper level) with regard to noise, view and common restrooms nearby ? I understand you can always enjoy the view from the upper viewer car

IMO no...but others will disagree...you'll have to go up the stairs to go from car to car...i think it is 'quieter' people-noise-wise there....

(4)Is there any size limit on the carry-on luggage ? prefer to travel without checking bagage. It seems there is a luggage room on the lower level. You just keep your locked bag there with all others or there are big lockers there ?

there are shelves on the lower level....people will bring large suitcases and stick them there....as for what will go in your room? the smaller, the less space. i have only had roomettes and have stashed my 20-ish inch carry on atop the 'step' thing next to the seat...and i usually have a laptop and camera bag...tight, yes but if you are creative....

a regular bedroom will have more room, BUT not that much when the beds are made up, when you take into account all the people....(does that make sense?)

(5)How about in-between snacks/soft drinks? Better to pack it or you can grab it for free ?

bring some snacks...you can always get coffee/water/ and OJ in your coach..but other than that...no. HOWEVER i have, on occasion, been in sleepers where the attendant leaves fruit or some other snacky things, though i do not think this is a normal thing

(6)How many suplerliner cars on a daily Zephyr ? (it seems there is only one family room in a car) When i try some mock redemptions on AGR website, it says 'Only one room available, Hurry' irrespective of the day I pick. Does it mean, there is only one AGR redeemable room on any given day ?

no clue...sorry....(well they are all superliners...i guess you mean sleepers...i think it may also depend on time of year...but AFAIK there is only 1 family room per sleeper car)

(7) If you book and decide to change the dates or cancel an AGR redemption booking, how it will work ?

it is a PITA! You need to call....a human..when they are there...it isn't THAT hard as long as you haven't printed the tickets..i had a hard time once...and then other times it was easy...i think it depends on who you talk to...and, though they aren't supposed to...ONCE..i had an agent in a station (I THINK LA) who was able to change it for me...(might have been PHL too..can't remember...and i have no idea HOW they did it....)

it should NOT be that hard....but you do need to call them when they are there...(someone will correct me if i am wrong..)

(8) We plan for a day tour (before noon) on SFO the next morning. Any recommendations?

wow.....can't help you there...SOOOO much to see and do. will you get off the train at EMY and take the bus?? it is easy and stops, among other places, next to the Ferry building.....that's what I did...(there are some great little food vendors inside the Ferry building..i bought a hot baguette, a coffee, and somehow found some jam...that was my breakfast before i left!!!)

(9) Better time to take the trip ? Is mid august ok ? Prefer to see some snow en route.

I don't remember when i went, but it was not in summer...prob fall/winter.....I think it's a great ride...and you will see wonderful things regardless

Appreciate any advise/tips/experience.
I took a shot at the questions above....i am not the queen of AGR point redemptions so hopefully someone else knows..(i only travel myself and i only used points..didn't pay for a "seat" too...so it should be the same...sorry, i need more coffee..)

hope it helps....LOVE taking the train...and you will be able to use the Metropolitan lounge in CHI (you prob know that) as a sleeper guest...so you can store luggage, have a soda or something, walk through the station and get reading material...whatever...i like that station!!)