FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carfield flying an ULCC - Allegiant Air LAS-EUG May 2012
Old May 6, 2012, 1:11 am
Carfield

Cabin and seats
The cabin is a bit old school and my roller bag is able to fit on the overhead bin on the DEF side straight in. It is not the extended style used by AA, but not the traditional non-extended style. It is like a in-between. The seats are blue leather seats and the legroom looks okay throughout the plane. The padding is fine and the seats are not reasonably clean.

Regular row with normal seat pitch

Exit Row seats

Cabin shot

Close-up of seat

Flight information:
The pilot was actually very friendly and door was finally closed at 12:20pm, fifteen minutes behind schedule. The pilot explained that the aircraft had a minor issue this morning at Fort Collins, which delayed its departure. Anyway the flying time was an hour and fifty minutes today and we cruised at 34,000feet this afternoon. Traffic at Las Vegas was not busy at these hours and we took off from R/W25R at 12:36pm. The flight was very smooth all the way to Eugene.

Flight attendants:
Three flight attendants worked today’s flight and they were a mix of everything. Based on my observation, the two women F/As had experiences with major airlines before and were comfortable with passengers. There was a cuter male F/A and he looked a bit younger. All three of them were friendly and had a smile. However there was an interesting episode and without getting any of them in trouble, I would refrain from mentioning their gender. The passengers at Row 23AC (the row directly in front of the first exit row) asked a passing by F/A on why their seats were not reclining. The F/A smiled and told the pair, the seats did not recline because it was directly in front of exit row. The guy was a bit upset and the F/A immediately snapped and said, “Did you have an issue?” The guy just said that there was no label telling passengers that these seats do not recline. The confrontation just ended like that. Not sure what to think about it, but F/As at Allegiant seem to be highly stressed. I am not sure if it reflects on the evolution of low cost travel in the US, the lower tolerant level by flight attendants, who work long hours, and the lower quality of passengers, who complained about everything (but forgot that they are traveling on what I called an ultra low cost airline).

Cabin Service:
There is no inflight entertainment at all, except the views out of the windows, which was spectacular today. Inside of seat pockets, there was a hybrid advertisement/inflight magazine named “Sunseeker,” which promote Las Vegas and various Allegiant’s destinations, as well as route map and BOB menu.

Despite listed in the menu, no sandwiches were offered today.

I got a sandwich in the airport, but decided to go for a Diet Coke and a bag of M&M Peanut candies ($2 each). If they did not have any ice, I will not go for the beverages. Cash, credit and debit card are accepted as payment methods. The sales were actually not bad and it took them a while to complete the service.

Arrival:
Descent began around 1:56pm and the pilots turned on the seat belt a few minutes later. Similar to Jetblue and other low cost airlines, F/As did a few rounds collecting trashes and ask passengers to help prepare the plane for the return flight.

Moment before touching down – a cloudy day at Eugene

Gears came down at 2:22pm and we landed on R/W16R at 2:26pm.
Eugene Airport

There were two United Express CRJ-200s in the tarmac in the A concourse – both were destined for SFO and delayed due to weather – N962SW and N964SW.