FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help needed for Amtrak California Zephyr Trip
Old May 5, 2012, 11:37 pm
ftbargain

Lightbulb Help needed for Amtrak California Zephyr Trip

We are seriously thinking about taking the California Zephyr (chicago - sfo) for our 'vacation' trip. Family of four. Kids (6 and 4) are train fans and they literally beg for a train trip. As I have more than 40K points in AGR (chase cc converted to amtrak), we are thinking of doing it. I read a lot about it on the forums, but has some newbie questions. Appreciate advise. (sorry for long list; we've never been on long distance trains)

(1) 40,000 miles is all you need for a 'Room' on Zephyr ? or is that only for the room and you have to pay more for your 'seat' ? Asking because, it appears its costing about $2500 if we are paying cash for the same.

(2)Will they accomodate 4 of us to a non-family room ? I prefer non-family because it appears family rooms are in the lower level. Also, non-family has restroom with in it.

(3)Is lower level a real concern (compared to upper level) with regard to noise, view and common restrooms nearby ? I understand you can always enjoy the view from the upper viewer car

(4)Is there any size limit on the carry-on luggage ? prefer to travel without checking bagage. It seems there is a luggage room on the lower level. You just keep your locked bag there with all others or there are big lockers there ?

(5)How about in-between snacks/soft drinks? Better to pack it or you can grab it for free ?

(6)How many suplerliner cars on a daily Zephyr ? (it seems there is only one family room in a car) When i try some mock redemptions on AGR website, it says 'Only one room available, Hurry' irrespective of the day I pick. Does it mean, there is only one AGR redeemable room on any given day ?

(7) If you book and decide to change the dates or cancel an AGR redemption booking, how it will work ?

(8) We plan for a day tour (before noon) on SFO the next morning. Any recommendations?

(9) Better time to take the trip ? Is mid august ok ? Prefer to see some snow en route.

Appreciate any advise/tips/experience.