FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Tailor?
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2012, 12:19 pm
flymao

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver
Has been a whilst since I gave an update about Danny's.

Well they finished the jacket, and they even delivered to my office and threw a free shirt in for all the inconvenience, but ultimately it didn't wash the bitter taste out of my mouth.

Overall I would give the jacket 5/10 (as the material was beautiful, fit was not great) and the service a 7.5/10. I'm sure they will be fine for some, and Alex and Singh are nice guys, but if you are looking for a suit style that's more European than Asian i'd avoid them.

On a slightly better note I found a place on Wellington Street in Central called TCNY which does great made to measure suits starting at around $5k, and tailored shirts starting at $550. After speaking to the most senior member of staff there, he told me that they are an offshoot of the Ascot Chang company - and he was a member of the Chang family himself.

The quality is great for the money but the service was even better - they knew how to make a suit fit for the more style conscious, whilst managing to keep it very classic at the same time. They also had a few ready to wear items in store which was great as it could really help to visualise what you were having made, plus buy some ties/pocket squares etc to finish off whatever look you are going for. They take a little longer than most (shirt was about 10 days and the Jacket was about 15 before the first fitting) - but it is well worth the wait. I picked up the shirt a few days ago and it honestly fits better than any shirt i've had before. Picking up the Jacket this week after a first fitting that was 90% perfect, but they noticed that my shoulders are set a little forward and that the material could crease if it wasn't fixed - small details that I would not have noticed!

I'd also recommend Jantzen tailor for shirts as they are very good value for money at 350hkd a shirt and can turn them around in 2 days. The place is usually packed so service can be a little 'rushed' - but don't let that put you off as the finished product is decent.