FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Clear Chinese immigration at Cheng-Du or Shang-Hai
Old May 4, 2012, 3:34 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lax2010
If I were to fly Chengdu--Shanghai(PVG)--NRT one way on the same day on one ticket,

1. Do I clear Chinese immigration when leaving Chengdu or when I leave the country at Shsnghai?

2. Do I check my luggage all the way or if I have to reclaim my luggage at Shanghai and recheck in my luggage at Shanghai?

If it would help, Chengdu-PVG is on Air China; PVG-NRT is on ANA Japan airline all on one *A award ticket.

My plan is to dump/skip the last leg PVG-NRT so that I can use my other ticket to go PVG-LAX. Will it work if I have checked bag?

I figure the worst case is that I will just have carry on and so I can skip the last leg at PVG. Do you think that is the only way I can do this?

Thanks!
Be prepared to short check your bags to Shanghai (CA probably won't give a rat's behind about your plan to skip your NH flight, but there's no point in confusing them.... well, if you get a really cool agent, maybe you could at least test the waters). In this case, you would clear customs in Shanghai. Border control will happen in Shanghai regardless of how you tackle the baggage issue.