View Single Post
Old Apr 25, 12, 1:08 pm
ncgator

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Thanks for asking.

During the day... exploring the island of it's natural and historical significance that might include getting past the regular tourist scenes and hiking the off the beaten trail.

In the late afternoon and early evening.... fun outdoor bars.
Downtown Fernandina has some fun basrs. The Irish bar has live music and good drafts, the Saloon is a smokey bar but has tons of character due to its age. Across the street from the Saloon is "Dog Star" Tavern. We always have a good time there when we visit, good Rum selection and beers. If the weather is nice, they have a nice small outside sitting area. The brew pub is called Karibrew and not a bad place for llunch. It also has outside seating weather permitting. The soft shell crab sandwich was good teh last two times I have had it. The best burger in town though is in an old renovated gas station and is called T-Rays. Don't be in a hurry though as it can be slammed during lunch times especially ona Friday or Saturday. Seating is very limited but worth the effort.

The beach does have crushed coquina shells on the tide lines, but has never been an issue for us and we have vacationed there many times over the years. Never cut a toe off or cut the bottom of my feet.

I hope you enjoy it.