FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Old Apr 24, 12, 8:51 am
TWA Fan 1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dpakman91 View Post
I used to fly BDL-IAD-EZE every summer, and the timing of flights was great. Now that UA846/847 are moved to EWR, I realize that in July, BDL-EWR-EZE leaves me either 50 minutes for the connection or over 8 hours, neither ideal.

As an alternative, I'm thinking of taking an Amtrak train SPG-EWR, which considering check-in and parking for a flight will take roughly the same amount of time, and taking the EWR-EZE nonstop. However, the train I'm looking at arrives at EWR at 8:03pm, and the EWR-EZE flight leaves at 9:50pm.

I'm comfortable with this in principle, but having not flown out of EWR for years, I wanted to get your advice about (1) how close to the terminal the Amtrak will drop us, and whether you think this is a reasonable arrival time for check-in and security
Assuming Amtrak is not late (not a given), you should be fine.

There is a "Newark Airport" rail station where select Amtrak and NJ Transit trains stop.

Once you get off the train, you ride an escalator up to a covered bridge across the train tracks, back down an escalator to the "EWR AirTrain" station, which is the airport's people mover.

You will then ride two stops to Terminal C (usually 5 minutes unless there is a malfunction which, unfortunately, happens quite frequently).

After that, you ride down another escalator, and you will be in the Terminal building. You will still need to ride one last escalator to get to the correct level to check in.

If you arrive at Newark Airport Station on time, and the EWR AirTrain is working properly, the whole transfer should take 15-20 minutes, no more.