FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The next time you think about bare feet on an airplane...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:38 pm
redwoman

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by adstockton
I board ORD-MSN today on a CRJ700 (2C) and sit down, quickly all seats are filled in F besides 1C and 1D. After 5 minutes or so (still 20 mins before takeoff), a woman comes on with a small toddler and sits in 1D. She spreads her stuff everywhere (seat next to her, on the floor, etc.) and before she gets settled, says to her kid "we should change you before takeoff" She proceeds to plop her kid down on the floor (thankfully not the seat!) in front of 1C/1D and change his diaper

In the middle of this, Mr. 1C walks onto the plane and looks confused to see his seat and legroom taken up by a ton of stuff and a naked baby. The FA looks up to see why he isn't moving out of the doorway, then looks down at 1D. She is completely horrified. First she says to the woman in 1D "you'll need to move your things so this gentleman can take his seat" Mrs. 1D says something to the effect of "yes, but I'm busy now" FA, clearly choosing her words carefully, says "Couldn't you have used the restroom?" Mrs. 1D: "On this plane? I don't *think* so." (with an inflection seeming to suggest "it's too cramped and dirty. Why would I use a restroom when there's more space on the floor?"). FA is clearly still shocked and a bit disgusted, but doesn't want to say anything further, just occasionally throws wide-eyed looks over at Mrs. 1D.

I took the FA's comment to mean equally "Why couldn't you have used the restroom in the terminal before you got on the plane?" I guess the spectacle was mildly better than spending 40 minutes in a CRJ with a stinky diaper, but it was a bit bizarre and totally gross. Think about it the next time you want to put bare feet on a plane floor...
Yeah, I just don't get the "it's natural, what's your problem" thing that seems to have sprang up somewhere between the 1980's and now. My little brothers were born in the 1970's; Mom changed them in the car or the restroom when out and about. Fast-forward to me as an adult in the late 80's-early 90's when I started seeing moms just whip their kids' diapers off in planes/restaurants (ick infinity +1)/stores/doctors, dentists or hospital waiting rooms, you name it.

Yes it's natural; it is also totally disgusting and unsanitary. You might be completely focused on your kid but i am not. Some things WERE better in the 1960's and earlier- such as a little thing called MANNERS.