FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - silver recognition upgrades
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:28 pm
samnz

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by Susiew237
my question is, should I now ask for an upgrade on the HKG-LHR leg in the faint hope that we will get an upgrade both legs, or am I better to put in my upgrade request for AKL-HKG as well so that it is clear that 2 silvers are asking (this in the hope that we will be more likely to get an upgrade). I realise gold and gold elites are going to get first preference, but I am wondering if say 2 silver requests will usurp a gold request who is travelling with a non status partner.
My understanding based on the T&Cs and talking to the call centre is that under the current system (i.e. no OneUp), someone with status is entitled to bring one traveller with them on their priority when using APD to upgrade. So say someone with a gold recognition upgrade applied for that and used APD for their non-status partner, both would clear as a gold recognition upgrade. You could use this to your advantage if you are trying to upgrade two legs - in each case apply for one silver recog. upgrade and one APD upgrade.

Others may correct me if I have misunderstood, but I have done exactly this and had a silver recog. upgrade for me and APD upgrade for my partner clear together in the silver timeframe, so I think I've got it right.

As you point out though, who knows with OneUps in the mix...