FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: Ok, I'm going to say it...
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:54 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by A_Lee
I just had a look over there, and left with a very bad impression. Don't think I'll be back. I simply wanted to learn what my soon to be BA Gold card will get me in terms of status. Had a look at their "dashboard", but for the life of me couldn't find any thread linked there that summarizes anything about status.
Well I personally don't think it's too hard, it took me well under 30 seconds to find this.

In essence Gold will get you increased Avios earning rates, access to the best seats, First Lounge as well as Business lounges (where available), OneWorld benefits (key difference with Star here, OneWorld's luggage benefits are not as consistent as Star), fast track security in many places, fast track check in everywhere, increased luggage benefits on BA and some OW companies. And unspoken, a good chance of operational upgrades on longhauls - though people's experiences here vary considerably. Similar divergence of view, but on board Golds should get first choice on meal options and perhaps a personal welcome from the Cabin Service Director or Manager.

Your point about a guide for new BMI entrants is a good one.

In terms of how the BA board works, yes it has its own style, and is possibly a difficult place for some posters, but if you look at the join date of some of the regulars, you will see many of them have joined recently, and have no problem being accepted. The upside is that the BA forum is often very entertaining as well as informative. Many of its members, including this one, looks forward to welcoming you on board.