FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated: GPU segment questions
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:16 pm
wtigerFF

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by David5885
I am scheduled to fly ORD-IAD-MUC in the next couple days. Despite being a 1K on the waitlist for 2 months it seems very likely that I will get stuck in E+ for the IAD-MUC segment. Thing is that when I booked of course ORD-IAD confirmed immediately. So, as I was used to from the days of PMUA I called to undo the upgrade ORD-IAD so I did not lose a GPU over this. A very friendly agent who incidentally was from PMUA (not PMCO) told me that there is a new policy that if the longer segment does not clear, even if the short segment did clear, they will return my GPU even if I keep the upgrade ORD-IAD. Has anyone else heard of this policy? Should I believe this agent? I hate "new united" garbage like this. Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by "new united" garbage? Would you prefer that they kept your GPU? I'm really happy about the new policy and it is documented on the new website at this link. The confusing part is that it specifically mentions that the upgrade is returned if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment doesn't clear. It doesn't explicitly mention the it will be returned if the United Business segment (3 class of service plane) doesn't clear. This is from the PMCO which didn't have International Business. Maybe they forgot to include it when they wrote up that page. I do remember reading a post in this forum that someone had gotten theirs back when they didn't clear Y->C. You may have to call to get it back. I'm still missing one from when Y->BF didn't clear.

Update on 4/24: Sometime in the last 24 hours, my missing GPU was returned. It took 3.5 weeks for it to happen on its own but at least I didn't have to call anyone.

Last edited by wtigerFF; Apr 25, 2012 at 11:08 pm Reason: update on GPU being returned for failure to clear BF