FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:39 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
T-38s
Correct! And these Northrop T-38 "Talon" supersonic jet trainers are getting rather long in the tooth.....

For example....

NASA has been operating the T-38 out of EFD in the Houston area in support of the JSC-based astronauts since I was in high school. Back when I was attending high school (which was quite some time ago), astronaut Rusty Schweickart attended our church in Clear Lake, which is located near JSC. Rusty was the lunar excursion module (LEM) pilot on the Apollo 9 mission. He was also a friend of my Dad as my father was on the Boeing design team for the navigation systems for the LEM. And one fine Sunday morning following services, Rusty and my Dad were talking with yours truly in close proximity but not saying much. My Dad then mentioned to Rusty that I really liked airplanes and that I was hoping to take flying lessons (which I eventually did). Rusty looked at me and said, "Oh really? Would you like to go for a ride in a T-38?". After a moment, I said, "Ah, yes!".

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm Reason: spelling