FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye SEA and SUX res...Friday 7/27 visit to Seattle with Discount Travel Codes
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:43 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by adamj023
Sounds good to me. Reservations should be done online, and for those who can't it should be automated with a computerized voice system. I actually think hiring offshore reps is overkill and here is why:

Delta ought to have consumers have direct access to the reservation systems via the internet and voice systems tied to their reservation systems. Actually having representatives over the phone to me is actually overkill and to me quite frankly shows that if they need such, it means their automated systems are failing the customer and not intuitive enough so they are needing hand holding from a representative.

Delta should put funds into aircraft, hiring qualified onboard personnel and pilots and equipment and into maintaining the airplanes they fly as well as terminal expansions.

I don't think it is a sad day for the american worker at all, I think it has to do with priorities and moving forward and not worrying about folks losing their jobs so that the firm can better progress.

In fact, with the Delta orders for Boeing corporation jets, there are more jobs for workers building modern jets at factories, working on terminal expansion and construction jobs and I hope in the future, more aircraft expansions and more pilots needed to fly those jets and even more hirings for flight attendent jobs and crew members and the like.

Delta has indeed given jobs right back to America and lots of them too.

The airline industry is pretty well known as to what can be done transportation wise, and the future progression is also well established.
This sounds to me like you rarely actually fly DL. If you try to do a complicated reservation on line, try to upgrade with SWUs or miles, want to fly most DL partners, want to get an interesting award ticket, want a round trip routing with a connection on the outbound and nonstop return or vice versa, require particular fare classes, require different cabins for different segments of an itinerary, have schedule changes, suffer IROPs, etc. you absolutely need to be able to talk with a real person. This stuff cannot be handled on line by the passenger, no matter how expert and how willing to waste time doing DL's job. Phone trees similarly waste the customer's time, even more so for automated voice recognition customer service.