FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop
Old Apr 15, 2012, 3:19 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bbrantley

a) If I had not clicked "add to upgrade list," would our reservation not have been split? We were already assigned seats in F before I did check-in.

b) Now that I have clicked the button of death, are we screwed on the return, or can I call into UA and get them to rejoin the tickets? I don't want us split up with the baby because it will be a big challenge with a squirmy lap child.

c) Is there a way, for two-adult PNRs, to prevent split from ever happening? I am happy to get the early upgrade, but I don't want to mess around with the split-at-gate scenario as described. And it's not like those domestic F seats are all that comfortable anyway.

Sigh.
a) I had the same thing happen (in the situation I posted about above) - when I added us to upgrade list at kiosk, we had already been upgraded, but still clicked it anyway (more because it was 4:30am and I wasn't thinking clearly). I'm pretty certain this is where the record split, because the night before, when upgrade was confirmed, we were still on once record. So presumably, yes, if you wouldn't have clicked add to list, you should have been on one PNR - though on another note, why it asks if I want to be asked to be put on the upgrade list when we have received confirmed upgrade on all segments that day is another story.

b) UA can not rejoin the records - impossible once split. However, if you call in to UA, they can tell the records have been split - either record should reference the other. This won't help to get the same upgrade priority (unless you are the same status) - at least in my case, on the return, I cleared my upgrade at window before my SO, since she had lower status and our records were split.

c) Theoretically, if you don't want the records split, click no to all pax when asked at the kiosk if you want to be added to the upgrade list. Though fair warning, some others have reported that it got split automatically at some point before they actually checked in or were asked anything, but this is not supposed to happen.