FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye SEA and SUX res...Friday 7/27 visit to Seattle with Discount Travel Codes
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:04 pm
spudley007

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WillTvl4Food
NWA/Deltaflygirl is correct. Delta has 9 call centers, all of which are underutilizing their capacity. So, instead of having 9 half-full call centers, Delta is closing down the two lowest staffed (and smallest in physical space) in order to cut costs. The call volume has been high enough that there isn't a need to reduce head count, and so all frontline employees are being offered the option to relocate if that suits them, try to bid into other positions, or furlough.

It's never easy to have to go through an office closure in any industry. I am hopeful that all of my colleagues take whatever option best meets their needs, and if they can stay with DL, even better.
Interesting...so what causes the costs of a call center then? Is it just the space that they are leasing? Would it have been possible to downsize the size of the center and keep everybody there? I'm not familiar with how call centers operate, so am kind of curious.