FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checking bags planeside instead of at check-in- cheating?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:23 am
marvanit

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
A friend and I are having a discussion, and we disagree:

Me: OK not to check bags at check-in
I say that if you're flying, it's totally fine to take your bags to the gate and check them planeside, as you're boarding the plane. Other than for a few specific things such as strollers that some airlines require be checked at the ticket counter, there is no obligation to check bags at the ticket counter (whether or not you're Preferred/Premier/Medallion/etc. and thus whether or not you'd get charged fees if you checked the bags at the ticket counter).

I am Preferred on US Airways and don't get charged the fees, but I almost never check bags anyway, and in the year when I first started flying, even before becoming Preferred (over 10 years ago), I never checked bags then. I usually have only a manageable suitcase and don't want to deal with baggage claim.

Friend: not OK to check bags planeside instead of at check-in

My friend says that you're a cheat if you don't check bags at the ticket counter, avoid paying the $25 or so per bag, and check the bags planeside- it's not decent to try to cheat the system that way.

Who do you agree with?
For me, it comes down to...what is the size of the bag? Are you checking a bag that exceeds carry on limitations?