FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:12 pm
landeej

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by playbbg
if you are working in the Mart, why don't you stay at the Westin River North? In my opinion, it is the nicest SPG hotel in Chicago and very close to the mart. While they don't have tons of suites for upgrades (I wouldn't expect it) their regular rooms and lounge are very nice.

If you just want space, why not do the Sheraton on the river, where I've been upgraded almost every time I stay there and is also closer to the mart than the W lakeshore.

I just don't think either W is really worth it, unless its location you are after. They both are due for a bit of touch-up...
You have very good points, but if it were truly convenience and access to the office I was after, I could just stay at the Holiday Inn in the Mart itself, which is actually much more presentable than when I was first there in 2005, and much more so than the Sheraton, with it's legacy decor, and failure of upkeep (had to have my door lock/keycard reader replaced, deal with A/C issues, and the mailroom lost a package of mine for a week - all during one stay last year, and I shan't return to give them another shot). Not to mention that the bar at the Holiday Inn makes a killer martini.

The Westin is, even with my corporate rate, way above my permitted daily max for Chicago. I don't expect to stay there at any point in the future.

W Lakeshore just works for me. From the personal touches of the staff, the convenience to work (jump over the Chicago River, take Wacker west, and then hop the river again - $7 with tip in a cab), and waking up to the sun glowing red and reflecting off the lake. Best of all, the bar has never failed to yield interesting and random experiences, from chatting up Playboy bunny-wannabes to hanging with musicians in for some random summer music festival, or just sitting back to watch the fun unfold. It's cheap, cheerful, and most of all welcomes me back like I'm coming home.