FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:29 am
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by N1120A
Here's my take on the split PNR issue. Its idiotic, but you can skip it by not selecting the option. It still appears to put you on the UG list. After an issue with a split PNR last week with a GM colleague who was traveling with me, I opted against that selection when talking to Mr. Chicken at LAX on my Easter weekend trip with my GF to KOA. It didn't split our PNRs and our UGs still cleared at the window.
EUA works if you're not split. It's the airport upgrade list that needs the list.

CO's systems are unable to add anyone to the airport upgrade list unless they're on their same PNR.

Even if travelling as (2) Elites of the same status, you still have to split t get on the airport upgrade list.

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
FWIW on PMCO they never auto-split PNRs. If you were with a group and wanted the upgrade, you had to split it yourself over the phone or on the website, with the full knowledge of the risks you were taking in the event of irrops.
This is purely a PMCO systems function, and they absolutely auto-split PNRs on PMCO -- I've had it done before. PMUA's systems did not need to split the record to add each pax to the upgrade list. UA could then upgrade one, both, or none of them while still keeping the record together.

I think we may be seeing more of this issue because 1) the UA flyers are not familiar with this SHARES limitation; and 2) We're seeing more companions on the same record prior to checkin because the new policy allows you to upgrade one (1) companion on the same PNR via EUA, so the need to split at checkin time is greater.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Maybe time to eliminate UDU. This doesn't happen on airlines where you must request an upgrade and pay with cash, miles or stickers.
That's a bit of a draconian response to a systems problem. PMUA's systems handled this situation just fine:

1. You would either both get the upgrade ahead of time or neither would (like on CO's systems today);

2. At checkin, you would both get on the upgrade list without a split (unlike CO's systems today);

3. If not upgraded prior to departure, all you had to do was alert the GA that you were together and did not want to separate (or they'd find out when they called you forward to alert you of the upgrade or possible upgrade).

The real problem is not UDU, it's the same as we've seen so many times already. SHARES is simply not robust enough to handle the needs of the business.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 10, 2012 at 7:37 am Reason: merge