FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:11 pm
VSIncCEO

Programs: UA 1K
Make sure you confirm reward tickets with *alliance partner

I booked a reward ticket from SFO to MNL
Routing is SFO GlobalFirst to ICN on UA
ICN to MNL Business on OZ (Asiana)

When I tried to do my seat assignment on Asiana it stated my reservation had not been ticketed.

I called the 1K line and was told that everything was fine and that they had an Asiana confirmation number. When I told her that Asiana stated my flight had not been ticketed nor paid for she gave me a different e-ticket number to try- no dice....still couldn't pick seats and Asiana website said reservation not paid. The agent sounding annoyed said I should call Asiana to give them the eticket info.... Nice - I the customer who has so far made 3 Z fare TPAC flights EWR to HKG this year and made 11 TPAC last year on UACO should call. Not the airline who I booked thru.

So after searching for the number, I called int'l long distance (agent didn't have a toll free number) to south Korea. They had the booking reference but UA did not pass the eticket numbers on to them! The agent at Asiana was supremely helpful even though English wasn't her first language and got my eticket info in. She told me had I not called my booking would have been cancelled and I would have been stuck in Seoul and forced to spend many thousands to get a flight to Manila so that I would not miss my connection to HKG.

so make sure you are actually ticketed on other carriers if you book through united.

On another note, I used reward travel this time because I couldn't believe how much Z fares were for end of April. I own a small business and anything more than $5500 is just outlandish. Oddly UA is charging almost exact same prices for J as CX...

I have so many GPU's yet can never find inventory for them.... Unlike last year when I never purchased businessfirst just used instruments to upgrade from e+ and never missed an upgrade with PMCO on their former CO99/98 now UA117/116 flights.

Hence why I am dumping my miles and considering taking my monthly TPAC flights with Asian carriers who offer better hard and soft products for the same prices and many times less. Other airlines will appreciate my $60k annual spend and 200k miles a great deal more than UA does now.

It seems the former CO and UA flyers are equally upset. It seems they took the worst customer visible attributes of each airline and made them into a horror show.

Only thing I can say positive is that when I book a domestic M or higher fare they let me upgrade instantly from my home Airport of PIT.