FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How bad is the 763 Ghetto Bird?
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:07 pm
TWA Fan 1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
Someone told me that and I had no idea all these years. Never thought to look on the back of the remote. That big Airphone in the seatback on UA brings back memories. Kind of hard to miss.
Good point.

Actually, the most interesting thing about the Ghetto Birds--at least to me--is how minimal its first class section is, with the normal 38" seat pitch and, at 19", the narrowest first class seats in the UA fleet.

On his blog (thewanderingaramean.com) sbm12 tells a pretty funny story about traveling on a Ghetto Bird DEN-HNL. He had a seat in FC, but in order to accommodate a couple who wanted to sit together, he ended up voluntarily downgrading himself to E+.

As he explains it, it wasn't much of a downgrade, since the legroom of E+ was ample and virtually the same as FC, and the seat only very slightly narrower (it's actually only one inch narrower).

When the f/a came around to him, she was shocked that he downgraded himself, and even slightly admonished him, but she ended up serving him the FC meal and beverage service anyway.

It's a well written piece and full of entertaining self-deprecating humor:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...g-haul-flight/