FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car-less in the Hamptons
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:09 pm
Landing Gear

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by SQinterrupted

I went to the Best Weekends link RobbieRunner posted, and saw this link to horse-riding at Deep Hollow Ranch.. Now i'm getting excited about horse-riding on the Montauk Beach and taking lots of great pictures of me on a horse hehe! Does anyone have any comments about Deep Hollow Ranch? I've never been on a horse before, so i hope they allow beginners to go on the horse rides.. =)

I don't know anything about Deep Hollow Ranch but from their website it appears that they offer trail rides. They don't say anything about lessons but they do say you can be a beginner. http://www.deephollowranch.com/boardinginfo.htm

Some tips from me:

If you really have never been on a horse before, try and book a private ride. Horses can be unpredicable and if your horse gets "spooked" and starts bucking or doing something else that can be dangerous, you have the full attention of the guide or instructor to tell you what to do so hopefully you don't get thrown.

Ask if they provide helmets. I would not ride without one.

Ask what they suggest wearing. If they don't have anything specific, and you don't have your own tack (which perhaps you borrowed), just make sure not to wear sneakers. Wear a shoe that has a low heel like a loafer. That will help you keep your feet in the stirrups.

Forget about anything silly like a riding crop. That will get just get you into trouble.

If you go for a group ride, and you have some control over the horse, try not to get too close to the horse in front of you.

Just FYI, most places that offer horseback riding require you to sign a release that says that they are not legally responsible under almost any conditions.