FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz vs Wailea Marriott in Maui??
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:07 pm
DJGMaster1
Suspended

Originally Posted by jayer
Dated Content Warning--Maui has become my second favorite island.

The Ritz is the Ritz. At the same time it maybe more isolated than you want it to be, and I don't like being a dining captive. People who have been there longer than I was may wish to comment and clarify, but my recollection was the beach was windy and rough and was not considered all that good for water entry, and at times dangerous.

The Marriott is not the plushest of Marriotts at all and I really didn't like the bedding. The beach in front of the Grand (not far and fully walkable) was the best swimming beach I've found in Hawaii. There was a decent small snorkel spot the other direction if the tide was right. There were walking dining options, but you are kind of shoehorned in behind the shopping center. The pools are not massive.

Your Maui or Hawaii previous experience is not stated. If this is your first time to go to Maui and you want a resort hotel I would second the suggestion to go to Kaanapali instead. If you want a more funky Hawaiiana experience I might try Kihea. If it were me I'd go to Poipu on Kauai before it gets paved over any more because its become my dependable escape.
If the weather is good in Kapalua, both Kapalua Bay and Napili Bay, which are close to the Ritz, are better than the Ritz' own beach, and easy and well protected for swimming (and Kapalua Bay is also fine for snorkeling from the beach).