FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delivering a brand new B777-300 to British Airways: G-STBF.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:38 pm
Petrus

After the jaw dropping tour of Boeing, we exited the building next door to the main hanger door that opens for the 777-300s rolling out in the open for some final work. As the bus made its way toward the other side of the airstrip towards the delivery center and History of Flight exibit there were some interesting views.

JAL 787's waiting for parts

This is the view that greeted us after entering Future of flight and the Delivery center. That's our baby on the other side, waiting for us to take her home! How cool is that? Looking closely one can notice the huge black curtain, tables and a spread setup by Boeing for the imminent ceremony.

707 body

787 Body

I sneaked out (with permission) prior to the ceremony to get a clear shot of this gorgeous beast. G-STBF. Our plane for ever.

After some more shopping in the Boeing shop (were one easily can spend thousands!) by accident a group of us ended up on the roof of the building which has possible the best plane spotting in the world. And what a fluke. A spanking brand new 747-8i was approaching from a test flight.

G-STBF being prepared

And right behind her a BA 747-8 cargo

Ok, we've seen so many of you it is getting old

Back inside we made it just before the official ceremony. Our skipper Rod signed the documents, we saw it and it was a ridiculous amount of US dollars, and the speeches commenced. A senior exec from Boeing together with Mr Lord, BA Director of Operations spoke while the curtain was pulled back, displaying G-STBF in all its glory. Cue lots of applause.

Now, what happened next truly made us in the group feel special. We were asked to cut the ribbon of the new plane. One of the people in our VIP group had a birthday and was asked to hold the scissors.

Skipper Rod's mum was also invited on the delivery flight and having just turned 75, BA decided to name G-STBF after her.

After the ceremony we all went back inside to clear security and exit the US. Boeing have a full security outfit in place. Lets just say that one cannot experience a more relaxed and friendly security check in the US, unless flying Private. Back outside and up the stairs, with some strong excited emotions.

Excuse me, I cannot find 10A?

Hello, I wish to complain. My seat is missing. Can I sit with you, Captains?

Skipper Tim doing the safety briefing, and explaining in why each safety detail has to be covered. Interesting, and very generous.

Towed away before engine start. Bye bye and thanks so much for the wonderful hospitality!

Coming up, on board a flight of a life time and finally, a tour of British Airways Maintenance Cardiff.