FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Monument Valley Photography Guide
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:57 pm
anrkitec
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeAAttle
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have been to this area several times but this is the first one solely for photography (and alone). Places I have already done are Santa Fe and Taos Pueblo (the Turtle Dance celebration, which did not allow photography, and then later when photography was allowed with a permit). Also, Rancho de Taos, of course. Went to Ghost Ranch quite a few years ago, and took photos (film) but the camera was stolen before I got to develop them. Major bummer. GR is already on my list.

I have also been to Acoma Sky City and Canyon de Chelly but prior to doing any serious photography. Took two trips to the canyon floor, once by horseback and the other by 4WD. Simply spectacular, with a very interesting guides. On horseback, the guide was very quiet. I managed to engage him a bit and he became comfortable with conversation. We talked about many issues - BIA, alcoholism and poverty on the reservation, his religion. I will never forget that experience.

Will check out Antelope and Walnut Canyons and Kasha-Katuwe. I have already purchased all three of Laurent Martres' books, exerda. Just need to find the time to do some serious reading and planning, although I like to be as spontaneous as possible.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted.
Antelope Canyon is a truly amazing place.

Yes, it has been photographed to death - almost to the point of being a cliche - but even just as an experience it is well worth the effort. Also make sure to time your visit so you get the best light.

I would also make an effort to visit Chaco Canyon and Pueblo Bonito if you haven't already, another truly amazing place and it is also "on the way" from ABQ to Farmington [make sure to climb the slot/crevice steps so you can see Pueblo Bonito from the plateau above [just don't think about the movie 127 Hours ].