FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:48 pm
Sagy
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by obscuredolfin
Hi all,

Thanks so much for your time and expertise. I've been working my way through the 250 pages on this thread to help me plan my trip. I'm hoping to use my AA miles to redeem for a zone 7 ticket (I have enough for business class, which if there is availability for I'd love to take).

However, I want to travel in April-Aug of this year and haven't gotten my ticket yet. Is it wishful thinking on my part to think that I can get seat availability? My proposed route, with flexible dates and locations, is to go to South East Asia and Europe:

JFK-SEA-BKK-KUL-TSA-ICN-HAM-SXF-PRG-ZRH-GVA-JFK

What do you think??

Thanks for your help!!
Christie
Welcome to FT.

I think that your first issue is that some/most of your sectors are not served non-stop by a OW airline. This means that your trip might go over the 25,000 miles and/or 16 sectors. You might want to consider using the award for the LH sectors and do the others some other way. You could use the award for something like JFK-YVR-HKG-ICN-NRT-FRA-BUD-ZRH-JFK with appropriate side trips. This route is 21,688 miles and only 8 sectors so you can add another 8 sectors and 3,312 miles at the same mile cost (that would be my choice) or try to cut out 1,688 to save 20K miles in J.