FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deciding between Rimowa Limbo and Samsonite spinner (or something else?)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:30 am
flyster

Programs: UA 1K SPG Gold
Rev jim, I quite like that triple lockdown lock. I'm going to get one.

I just went to a shop & checked out the rimowa topas. It looks pretty darn bulletproof but also looks too valuable. The larger size Rimowas do indeed have a third latch, but the third latch doesnt accept a lock. So we are stuck with the built-in TSA locks for both the limbo and the topas. Having to decide between the limbo & topas, I'd take limbo as I think the limbo is sturdy enough for my needs, plus it's cheaper and looks cheaper too, both pluses.

Rimowa needs to have someone rewrite some of their literature... I was browsing a printed catalog in one of the shops and they actually wrote something more or less like this "At first glance, the Limbo luggage line is clearly very valuable." Uhm, who the heck thought that would be a good sales point, and can they be fired?

I almost bit the bullet and bought the 27" Limbo, but it's priced a bit higher than in the US, so I decided to take pause and keep considering things a bit.

Does anyone agree the latches might break more easily than a regular zipper based lock mechanism? WIth the limbo, if the latch lock breaks, there's no way to lock it, except a strap, which a pair of scissors could remove.

Also perhaps I am being too paranoid about luggage theft. How often do people flat out steal bags? Has anyone had this happen to them? Maybe the limbo would be a good purchase for me.