FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New [delayed] destination: Arcata-Eureka, Humboldt County, California (ACV)
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:45 pm
FullFare

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
On an O/D basis, sure. But if one must travel ACV-JFK for example it's either ACV-LAX-JFK on AA or ACV-SFO-JFK on UA so for all intents and purposes the two are competing on the route, which the fares should reflect.
Well, it must be some deal AA got from the ACV operators. They, ACV, must have been hell bent, perhaps from their business backers, to get more air service. AA can't do better for them to SFO than UA (I mean, come on, where the heck will AA take you from SFO compared to UA?)

So AA can get the ACV folks all the way to LAX (albeit on an RJ--but then the ACV folks are resigned to that) and that then gets you to the places AA goes to from LAX---which is not bad.

So, if you're an ACV resident, you do get an advantage of where you might want to connect to, maybe to places like SAF. They (UA) can get you to Shanghai, sure, and maybe with more seats to JFK than UA.

I've been to ACV many times in the past. Definitely a UA-owned airport. I remember when we would be taking the first flight out in the morning and the flight on UA (something like a 727 in the old days) would deadhead in from SFO. Boy that was before oil went through the roof. It really has traditionally been a place you fly to SFO too, although UA goes to SMF and maybe other places I'm forgetting.

I'll be interested to see how it does. It must be subsidized. I will bet the ranch it will fold when, and if, such subsidy fails. And, oh yeah, pretty country up there in Humboldt County. God's country. Great redwoods. Plenty of rain and mist, though. You can certainly spot a local. He/she will not sport a sun tan.