FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My experience with Gogo wifi on a SFO-JKF p.s. flight
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:06 pm
cmk1493

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SeattleFred
I decided to try the Gogo wifi service on a recent p.s. flight SFO-JFK. I paid $14.99, onboard (apparently, you can save a couple of bucks if you purchase in advance, as I learned later).

I was disappointed with the connection speed and, later, had this interaction with the Gogo help desk:

Gogo Rep: Welcome to Gogo. My name is Gogo Rep.

SeattleFred: Hi Gogo Rep. Is Gogo performance always so sluggish? On my UA SFO-JFK flight a few days ago, I had 0.19Mbs down and 0.12Mbs up. Pathetic and certainly not worth the $14.99 I paid.

Gogo Rep: Hello Fred, I am sorry to hear you are getting a slow connection. May I ask what in general you are using the service for? E-mail, videos or reading the news?

SeattleFred: At that speed, videos were not a possibility. All I could do was check email and visit simple websites. I was hoping to be able to connect to my server and fetch some files I needed.

Gogo Rep: I will check your flight. May I have your username to verify your account?

SeattleFred: Yes: SeattleFred

Gogo Rep: May I also have your flight number?

SeattleFred: UA870 on 3/xx/12

Gogo Rep: Pardon me, I though I was looking up your flight today. I am unable to check the conditions on a past flight. I can tell you that while Gogo does not support streaming media or large downloads. The service is usually quite reliable.

SeattleFred: As I asked in my first post: is Gogo performance always so sluggish? If so, I will not be purchasing it again. And I will alert my many traveling friends of what they can expect.

Gogo Rep: It is not always so sluggish, it is generally quite reliable when used within the supported parameters. There are a few factors which can slow the connection but they are uncommon and temporary.

SeattleFred: What speed should one expect? And what do you do for your customers when those expectations are not met?

Gogo Rep: The connection speed is comparable to your average public wifi connection. Taking your situation into consideration I can offer you a credit towards a future Gogo session. Shall I send that to SeattleFred@...?

SeattleFred: Yes, please do. That will give me a chance to try it again on my return flight. Thank you.

Gogo Rep: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

SeattleFred: Are you unable to be more specific on what speed connection I can expect? Public wifi connection speeds, as you know, vary widely.

Gogo Rep: If by "more specific" you mean a number then unfortunately I cannot.

SeattleFred: So, I guess I will have to live with your deliberately vague answer. If you have something more useful, I would like to know. Otherwise, thanks for your help.

Gogo Rep: Have a nice day. Thank you for choosing Gogo. Fly classy.

Gogo Rep has disconnected.
I am still waiting for the credit to arrive in my mailbox.
Do you expect OC3 speeds? I often do not even get the speeds you referenced on my iPhone 4S in downtown Chicago in the middle of the day. These services are in their infancy and slow speeds should be expected while improvements are made to the technology. If you are able to check email and do very basic tasks than I would consider that 'worth it' vs. being out of touch for many hours.

Remember the days of the 14.4k modem?