FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q: club euro deals
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:08 am
A1pax

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Bear in mind, if you "only just" make it to QF Gold, that some TP earn ratio is lower with BAEC than with QF. E.g. LHR-WAW in CE earns 60 SCs with QF, 40 SCs with BAEC. Make sure that you do not end up shooting yourself in the foot by changing the scheme without examining your flying patterns properly. I have seen people fall short by assuming that BAEC TP earn is the same as QF SC earn. It's not a problem if you easily make it to QF Gold as 20 TP differences here and there will not make a huge difference to the total number. Also, PE bookings credit at a higher TP with BAEC than with QFFF so that makes up for some of the lower TP earnings.

It's all about the routes and classes you fly. Be careful with TP runs in Australia as well, as TP earn on many QF domestic routes is different for BAEC from QFFF from memory.

Redemption availability would be about the same for BAEC and QFFF, if that is your main interest. I have never seen any differences between the two except for the status-based availabilities. Be very careful splitting miles/points from your husband's scheme, as it can cause shortfalls in miles/points for what you want to book because the miles/points are scattered (whereas you can do a family transfer with QF) and could result in your not getting what you want because of it. Unless you have a large number of miles/points, it's often advisable to pool them into one scheme within the family within the same alliance (different matter of course if you are splitting them between different alliances). You also forgo the minimum points guarantee on QF domestic flights if you are crediting to BAEC, and you also miss out on loyalty bonuses, so if that is an issue for you, you need to consider things carefully.

Who books the flights/package is irrelevant. As long as his membership number is entered into the booking (or is registered at the time of check-in), he will get his SCs/miles.
Hi LTN Phobia

Thanks again, for pointing out the different earnings for SC / tier points on QF and BA. I will check QF website for these points and compare them against BA.

Much appreciated views from the forum on these "subtle" differences.