FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tailors in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:17 pm
simmonsk

FABRICS

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I had some curtains made at one of the tailor shops in the Russian market in 2009(so take that for what it is worth)! There are also other places. Sadly most of the fabric on sale is imported and not that nice, there are few places that sell nice fabrics (beside "the shop") but are usually used for interior applications.
RUssian market sells linens and cottons, as well as sythnethics. Most of them are left-overs from places like GAP who produce clothing in PNH. Solids are in biggest supply. COST: $2 to $2.50 a Meter. Same product in Bangkok, $8-10 a meter.

Olympic market has a huge hodge podge nad cheap. You have to know your fabrics to identify linen and cotton and sythentic blends, but there too are huge bargains.

Curtains in tropical climates are best made from a heavy weight sythnthetic. I made a houseful of elegant curatins, hight windows, all around. $1 a meter and the outstanding curtain makers charged $50. This was in 2002 so prices have risen, but both workmanship and fabric are cheap are excellent.

I think too few people really make clothes or fabric items, so don't know what is possible or avbailable in PNH. I make clothes regularly and fly to PNH for both linen and tailor. A shame it's such a secret to local expats.