FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skymiles Change Rumor?
View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:00 pm
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I was not with this site from the beginning, but I believe it was started for flyers. The company has its official communication channels and I understand them wanting to stay within those channels.
That's entirely up to them. But the point is that to successfully engage in social media, companies need to be participants and earn respect and authority. Not to control the message like many large corporations are oh so used to doing. That's why social media is such a difficult thing for large enterprises to take on successfully compared to smaller companies. You gain influence by having others give you influence because of your demonstrated expertise. The internet won't grant you a loan on influence or respect up front just because of who you are. The internet is proud of being the great equalizer. You build your authority one interaction at a time. And if DL chooses to engage in social media efforts, they need to grasp this concept better.

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 22, 2012 at 5:06 pm