FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Current best deals for churning
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:56 pm
mnscout

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
You are applying for 3 Chase cards at once. That may be pushing it. I applied for 2 together and had to used the reconsideration line to get the 2nd card. It's good that you use Chase freedom as your primary card. I have a friend who also uses Chase Freedom as a primary card but doesn't have Chase checking. When he applied for a rewards card he got denied and Chase' argument was: you need to establish a relationship with us by opening a checking account. There maybe more to the story than my friend told me but just wanted to warn you.

How about applying for some Amex cards? Amex SPG or Amex Hilton?
Bank of America's Virgin Atlantic and Hawaiian airlines card also look promising.
Pushing is an understatement. I don't think it's even possible to get three Chase cards simultaneously (someone with a different experience please tell me if I'm wrong). Two cards I did get, sometimes without calling.

Now to the question in hand. Considering your desired flying pattern, I'd do the following:

1. Chase SW
2. Chase Sapphire (because you already have Freedom, and it's a great card)
3. Barclays US Air (because they hit Transunion, because they will hold Grand Slam in the fall, and because it's a great card)
------------
STOP

You do not have a long credit history and you may have a problem with 6 cards app-o-rama. Citi AAdvantage cards are great, but Citi reportedly has been horrible with approving accounts with feweer accounts and shorter credit history as of late.

Go slow and you'll get there just in time.

In 3-4 months (provided everything goes smoothly this time, and you don't have interest in hotel points) apply for the following:

1. Chase Southwest Visa Biz (yes you can have it even without bona-fide business, and with 100,000 miles you'll almost have enough miles for a free companion ticket).
2,3. Both Citi AAdvantage cards.
--------------
STOP and give it a rest for the next 6 months, regardless of the outcome!

Hope it helps and good luck!