Old Mar 21, 12, 7:53 am
Diogenes1789

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
Originally Posted by Narendra View Post

Have you tried maybe the check in counter at the airport? I don't think you necessarily need to speak to a gate agent but the check in people should be able to help you out especially if your mother in law is fragile looking...anyone with common sense and a hint of compassion should be able to change the reservation at the check in counter.
Thanks Narendra. I will try the check in counter.

Originally Posted by aviatorzz View Post
First off, for any domestic carrier in the US, no flight is restricted to the gate agent until <20ish minutes prior to departure.

Unfortunately, I fail to see where UA breached its CoC. Her ticket is still there and I will guarantee you are able to check her in on line. E+ was an added benefit. Like all carriers, seating is subject to change, without notice. I am in no way saying its ethically right, but they can change seating without any sort of notice. I am going to suggest that they probably had an aircraft swap/downguage from what was originally scheduled. The only way that they would break their CoC is if they denied boarding her without notice, which they aren't according to your post. And the ADA would have a field day with that one.

And unfortunately, unless she has a guide animal or has a fused/cast on leg, that would be the only reason to move someone out of the bulkhead. And that's if she's not traveling on a 757 where bulkhead seats are absent.

Now just looking at the flights on EF, you won't have much luck tomorrow as most flights are only showing Y2 B1 etc and most seats completely filled.

Go to the airport and check with a human. You may get lucky and find a compassionate agent, but just so long as UAL gets your mother from Point A to Point B on her original flight, they did not breach their CoC and you will have to pay for a flight change if you want to change her ticket.

Oh and FWIW, ask to speak to someone that is a CRO. They will not be able to move anyone already in there, but they may be able to open a blocked seat for your mother. I don't know what flight she is on, so I cannot tell you if there are blocked seats from EF. Care to share?
Flight is UA 1136.

"First off, for any domestic carrier in the US, no flight is restricted to the gate agent until <20ish minutes prior to departure." So, I was being lied to by the agents on the phone?

"E+ was an added benefit. Like all carriers, seating is subject to change, without notice." Even if the seating was paid for with a higher fare? If one pays for F, the carrier has the right to put you in Economy?

"they probably had an aircraft swap/downguage from what was originally scheduled." I have no way of knowing, but the phone agents said there had not been a change of aircraft.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 21, 12 at 12:06 pm Reason: merge