FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why was CO preceived as a good airline
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:25 pm
USFreak

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I think what kept me coming back to Continental after many years at US was the consistency I found with them. I fly out of a small airport (CHS), and the employees at the CO counter took it upon themselves to get to know people and faces. It was like a second home for me to see all the gals each week.

My bags arrived on time, every time. I was treated with the utmost respect once in air whether I was in first or in coach. I have an outgoing personality so I strike up conversations with the crews whenever I could. It seemed to be a welcomed exchange given what they have to put up with these days. I was never told no by an employee at Continental. Of course, my requests were reasonable and I felt the people I interacted with met my expectations every time I opened my mouth. I did fly other airlines including the old UA and US and all I got was the cold shoulder, lost baggage and canceled flights.

If you are a DYKWIA type, then of course, Continental wasn't for you. But if you wanted a relaxing flight with good people, then Continental was the only way to go. I was a Plat on CO and a 1P on UA and it was appalling how the old United treated the lower tier elites. I felt Continental valued business whereas the Tilton era did not.

Everyone has different experiences. If you flew in and out of EWR, then I bet you would sing a different tune. But, for a guy who flew from a small airport into mostly small airports, I enjoyed the Continental experience and a I miss it a lot.

Just my .02