FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Farewell Miles, with ANA, Thai and Asiana with ANA's International 787 in C
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:50 am
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
After negotiating Hong Kong immigration with what I thought was a long wait for Hong Kong (30 minutes) it was time to sit down and work out my next move, and work out where was going next. Abusing the free WiFi at HKG therefore was a must. It was then a case of buying a 3 day octopus pass with Airport Express tickets loaded, loading an extra HK$50 on incidentals (such as Ferry, Tram and Bus ride and then heading to the island.

Airport Express is of course its usual quick self, depositing me at the Hong Kong MTR station 24 minutes after picking me up at the Airport.

A quick check, and realising there was no shuttle bus to the hotel, I wandered into the Hong Kong to Central connection and was instantly reminded of how long a walk it is from the station to station. Well it is longer when you have a 20kg solid backpack on you with another 10kg in the front.

The MTR is… it’s usual self (actually a good reason why I don’t particularly like the MTR. Too much pushing, shoving, etc with walks that seem longer every time I go through a station - part of the reason why I switched to tram, bus and ferry when I could). Eventually, I make my exit into Times Square, a quick double back and I reach my digs for the next two days – the Crown Plaza Causeway Bay.

Hotel: Crown Plaza Causeway Bay
Price Paid: 30,000+$120USD (Points and Cash).

No, I will NOT take pictures of the outsides of hotels during the day!

I wandered into the hotel, and queued up with the masses. I then went to check in, and presented my Ambassador card. This promoted a raised eyebrow from the checkin agent and a bit of tooing and froing - after a minute was taken to the Priority Club Checkin.

Oops. (Although in my defence, I couldn't see the Priority Club Check In point)

I was welcomed as the agent tried unpick the damage that had been done with the reservation, and welcomed me formally as a Platinum Ambassador. I was then told of I was upgraded to a corner room with a view of the Happy Valley Race Course (nice), breakfast was included in the rate (very nice) as well as nibbles in the bar after 5:30 (very nice indeed) as well as Internet Access (Excellllent!).

The agent also checked when I was leaving and extended by an hour too.

With that, I was shown to the lift, and reminded to shove my keycard in the slot in the elevator to get get access floor level access to the room.

The after settling in, and opening up the blinds,a view of the Happy Valley was before me.

The Happy Valley before me

The room itself was a lovely size, and the views were... great. Not as amazing as the ones in Tokyo (that will ll be hard to match anywhere I suspect). What made this room different are the amenities in it - from the bathroom that looked out onto the world.

A bathroom with a view

Toiletries and Water

Bed

Desk connectivity - note the Media Ports and USB Charging

But it was the little things around the room like a USB charging socket, an a iPod dock to charge your phone or watch your media on.

And "normal" plugs (well, normal to to me anyway - those of you who aren't a resident of the British Isles won't appropriate yet another adaptor in your collection )

Flat Screen TV with iPod Dock (and DVD player)"

It’s little touches like that, that make one hell of a big difference.
Soon enough, a welcome fruit plate turned up as well. Hang on, am I in a Crown Plaza or a Intercontinental here?

Welcome Amenity

Anyway, after settling down, I decided to enjoy the evening, and headed to the bar, where it was drinks time and nibbles time. As there is no lounge here - it's drinks at the bar.

I can live with that.

Pool and Art

Pool and art

After being fuled for the evening, I escaped into town, and over to the Kowloon.

Another day, and it was time to take advantage of the buffet breakfast. Well it's included in the rate, so why not?

Now this is a big buffet they have, form sushi to noodles, to western stuff, to cold and even a custom omlette and Noodle bar

Raw.... to...

...Cooking...

...To cooked!

And Dim Sum too!

Overall: If you want Intercontinental Service without the Intercontinental cost, this the Crown Plaza to visit. Excellent and friendly service, whilst being lovely and friendly throughout. Just make sure you're at least an IC Ambassador to get the best of the place....