FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HELP - Compensation for Delayed Baggage
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:25 pm
woodlandsfonz

Programs: UA Premier 1K / * G
HELP - Compensation for Delayed Baggage

Hey guys

I'm Premier Gold, and I flew IAH-MEX on Friday on flight 1090. I was upgraded to International Business (R), checked 1 bag.

I landed in Mexico City but my bag didn't. Talked to the UA Rep, said to either wait for next flight or have it delivered to my location the next day. I decided to wait due to the frequency of IAH-MEX flights (About once every hour or two).

I waited for the next 3 flights to land and my bag didn't show up.

I had an important business event that night that I couldn't attend because I didn't have proper clothes to wear. Buying a suit would've taken hours. This was my only reason for flying to MEX this time.

I told the UA Rep to deliver it once it arrived, as there was still one flight left to arrive around 10PM.

I called UA the next morning, and they finally said they had found my bag and it was scheduled to arrive in MEX at 7:15PM. When I asked why it would get here so late if there were 5 other flights and the bag was in IAH, they informed me they had misrouted it to AMSTERDAM, and it was flying back to IAH.

In the end, the bag finally made it to MEX and I picked it up at the airport.
UA already said I need to call them to discuss a Travel Certificate compensation.

My question is, what is the compensation I should ask for? In my opinion, it should be for the value of the ticket, since I couldnt attend my event, and this was the trip's whole purpose. Ticket was $538 RT.

Could I ask for elite miles as compensation? That might be more attractive.

Please let me know your thoughts!!!

Thanks