FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yet another "Review and Comment on my Itinerary" thread
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:57 am
koolr

Originally Posted by CPRich
And my thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

I'm traveling with MrsCP and two little ones, 13 and 8, near the end of August. We tend to be on the go quite a bit, and usually get "that looks overly aggressive" comments, though I have knocked a few things off to give some "walk around and look" time.

We land late on Thursday evening - right to hotel/bed in Anchorage

Friday - Alaska Native Heritage Center, Anchorage Museum. Since we're 4 time zones back, I assume we'll be up early and finish these mid-afternoon. I've penciled in a hike up Flattop mountain

Saturday - up early for a drive to Matanuska Glacier and the 3 hr, 9:30am Ice Fall Trek. Then into Palmer to see the Reindeer Farm and Must Ox Tour with, if time permits, a hike up Bodenburg Butte in between. Back to Anchorage at the end of the day

Sunday - Drive to Talkeetna for a flightseeing/glacier landing (not sure with whom - all look capable), then a drive up to Denali, stopping at Denali State Park, if the views are good, for a hike around the lake.

Monday - Shuttle bus or Tour bus through Denali - not sure which one, or how far in, but assume, along with the sled dog kennel/demonstration and other items, that we'll fill the day

Tuesday - drive to Wasilla. Visit Iditarod HQ, Mat-Su Visitor's Center, and Independence Mine Park. Back to Anchorage for overnight.

Wed - Drive to Whittier, sightseeing on the way, for 12:30 26 Glacier 5-hr cruise. Drive to Seward for the night

Thurs - up for a 9a Sea Kayak trip in Resurrection Bay, then the Alaska Sea Life Center and around Seward for the day

Fri - Exit Glacier hike, IdidaRide dog sled tour, hang out in Seward.

Sat - Drive to Portage glacier for 12noon tour. Hike the Byron Glacier Trail. Stop by the Wildlife Conservation Center and any sightseeing we missed on the way down, on the way back to ANC. Flight home at 10:50p

From what I've read, a glacier tour out of Whittier and a kayak tour out of Seward is better then the reverse. With an 8-yr old I think 3 hours in a kayak is enough, and I didn't see non-full-day tours out of Whittier.

Anything I'm missing/not thinking of?
CPRich, just sent you a PM on coupon book.