FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you get refunds when you BuyUp?
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:03 am
Weatherboy

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Do you get refunds when you BuyUp?

I have two scenarios:

Flew on EWR-ORD-HKG on a Business class reward ticket, but the EWR-ORD segment could only be waitlisted into F and confirmed into Y. While there were 6 F seats available at the check-in window, I was offered (and took) the $89 upgrade offer for EWR-ORD. Glad I did because no one cleared the list (guess everyone else bought up.)

Booked EWR-DEN-FAT in economy, used a regional upgrade. Even though F was completely open 3 weeks prior to departure, EWR-DEN cleared about a week before departure and DEN-FAT didn't; was offered $69 check-in upgrade offer on DEN-FAT that I declined...and not only did I not get the DEN-FAT upgrade, I wasn't even on the waitlist.

On these multi-segment trips, I suppose it's risky using premium rewards. Does anyone have any experience getting refunded buy-ups, miles, or upgrades.... or should you assume you'll need to pay the check-in upgrade offer if you really want to fly into the cabin you've tried to book into with other instruments (elite upgrades, Y/B/M-instant upgrades, reward upgrades, regional/systemwide upgrades, etc.)?