FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yet another "Review and Comment on my Itinerary" thread
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:40 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
When are you going? Katmai is not ideal all summer. There are peak times and not-so-peak times. Plus, I really don't think you have time for Katmai.

Generally I like your itinerary but I am a bit puzzled why you are returning to Anchorage on Saturday after Matanuska Glacier. I have to assume it is because you want to use points for your hotel stay, but it makes much more sense to drive to Talkeetna or at least Wasilla afterward. If you go to Wasilla or Talkeetna, you can stop by Independence Mine on the way, which is nice for both history and hiking.

Also, this could give you time to stop by the Iditarod HQ in Wasilla, see the good film there and take their short and inexpensive sleddog ride. Might be interesting to get your kids involved with the Iditarod now (the winner will probably be arriving in Nome with 30 hours). You mentioned this for Tuesday but if you are not getting to Denali NP until later in the day when driving north, you should spend some time at the park entrance - visitor center exhibits and film, sleddog kennels, driving the first 15 miles of the road, the Savage River loop hike, etc. Also, when you first arrive at Denali NP head to the visitor center and pick up jr. ranger backpacks for the kids.

Too bad you missed the 2-for-1 Groupon for flightseeing with Sheldon Air recently. You might consider a Toursaver or Northern Lights coupon book to take advantage of some discounts, including flightseeing and PWS cruises. You need to just compare both books to figure out which is best for you.

>>Monday - Shuttle bus or Tour bus through Denali - not sure which one, or how far in, but assume, along with the sled dog kennel/demonstration and other items, that we'll fill the day

Depending on when you are going, I would try to book the shuttle to Wonder Lake (on/after June 8th) or Eielson (on/after June 1). You can always turn back sooner but if the Mountain is out, going to Wonder Lake and staying a while is incredibly worthwhile. You need to book the shuttle bus in advance. Do that as soon as your itinerary is firm.

The kayaking tour at Aialak Glacier doubles as a Kenai Fjords tour. So doing that and the PWS glacier tour in Whittier is ideal.

Keep your eyes open for groupons and other discounts/deals that can reduce your costs.