FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - :confused: UA is now charging carrier changes on award tickets?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:43 pm
abcx

I just hopped over to the new united.com to see what the new award change rules were. I really enjoyed the old CO rules to change routing, dates and carriers for free as long as more than 21 days out especially since I have no status because I basically don't have any work-related travel and when I travel for leisure it's the odd domestic Y trip or the premium international award. I had a feeling that we'd get screwed on award fees somehow with the merger and it's good to see that $miser didn't let us down.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Historically it was for everyone. Basically ALL change more than 21 days out were free so long as the O/D city pair remained the same. You could change carriers, dates, times and routing. That appears to no longer be the case.

Originally Posted by SirJman
What about 'Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure' that is at No Fee.

If you add/delete a connection, but it requires a new airline you won't be charged the fee?
A strict reading of the rules suggests yes. That makes it a bit confusing and harder to believe, but that is how I read it now.
Pretty sure that's not how UA will interpret the rule. 5 bucks says you'll have to pay even if adding a new connection forces a new carrier.

Oh, and also correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it to free to book *A awards with PMCO on the phone? It now costs you $25 to do the same. What's worse is that I'm pretty sure that I'll now have to deal with UA's ICC instead of CO's American agents. It's not like CO's US based CSRs are great, but the ICC is much worse.