FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beijing hotels and tours?
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:10 am
tsmith12

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
The CP Wangfujing (which I would highly recommend for convenience - it allows going for a stroll in the evening and having dinner at restaurants that have English menus, for example) can be quite cheap using Friends and Family rate. That said, yes, there are other hotels that are cheaper and considering you are planning to take cabs/tours anyway, location doesn't matter that much. HI Temple of Heaven is nice and cheap, HIX Temple of Heaven is even cheaper, but there are no restaurants nearby and the hotel itself doesn't have (a decent) one either. HI Downtown, located in the west, is good and well accessibly. Both HIs are older properties. HI Deshengmen is a new property, easily accessible by road to all sights; there are a few restaurants around the corner, but nothing much else to do by foot.

Tours: I can understand that, but be warned that all the major sights (Forbidden city, Tian'anmen Square, Temple of Heaven) are enormous and require a lot of walking inside; few can be covered by 'golf cabs'. You can rent a car for a day (8 hours, 100 km) for as little as 400 CNY (and hiring a cab for the day may even be cheaper), however, this does not include a tour guide. Whether one needs one is another question...

Great info, Thanks a ton. They are not "golf cab" old where they will have issues walking and exploring the attractions (although the less the better in getting to the attractions), but they definitely are not "travel-savvy" where they can figure out trains/subway stops and such to navigate around the city. Basically, they rather spend $100-$200 extra for convenience and piece of mind than having to figure out which train/bus to catch and seek directions. I'll see what they need and go from there. I'm sure they'll need a tour guide, so maybe that's something they can find at the local attractions. Thanks again!