FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgrade After Seated in Biz Class
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:32 am
dmhawk58

Downgrade After Seated in Biz Class

This was for a flight from IAD to MUC on United. I was flying through IAD on Friday and was delighted to be given an upgrade to business class with a new boarding pass, etc. Went and sat down, had champagne, took my shoes off, and about 30 minutes later, the flight attendant came up and told me I had to move from 8C to coach (IAD to MUC). I told her there must be some mistake, that I had been there for 30 minutes at least and she said, "No, the gate agent was too afraid to come tell you, so he told me I had to do it!" I said that the situation was unreal, and that I wanted to speak with him. When he came back, I said I was disappopointed that he didn't have the courage to come tell me himself, etc. and this guy told me it was another gate agent and that we should talk off the plane....The other gate agent finally came down and told me it was a "computer glitch" but the flight attendant had told me that it was oversold (biz and first were full for sure I could see). I really did not think that I had much need to complain, but was clearly upset, because I didnt want them to call airport security or anything. I told them they should give me my original bulkhead seat, and they said they would try. They did offer me my original seat, but it would mean that the man and woman sitting next to me would have to hold their baby the whole flight. I declined, thinking I have more class than doing this, and went back to my window seat. This was a mileage upgrade, and had taken 3 hours to get through on the phone to deduct the mileage as well. The guy who ended up sitting in my biz seat was, I realized on the phone in the BIZ class lounge when I left talking to United about his upgrade that was "Lost in the system." Seems like there would be another way to settle this. Any suggestions on what to do to get compensated in addition to putting the miles back in? I am Premier Gold. The gate agent asked me what he should do because he had a full fare paying customer...I think they should have told him his upgrade did not come through rather than moving me, or they should have offered someone in first or biz some compensation to give up a seat on an oversold flight. I was not in a too cheap a seat, B class, which is only next to Y in ugradeability. Any suggestions?

Last edited by dmhawk58; Mar 12, 2012 at 6:33 am Reason: Add detail.