FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileagePlus (should be known as MileageMinus)
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:47 am
Wake_me_when_we_get_there

MileagePlus (should be known as MileageMinus)

I'm not one to post much on this web site, but the new MileagePlus program deserves some commentary.

Between United and Continental, I normally flew Continental. I have been flying for business since 2004 and have seen Continental's loyalty program slowly whittled down until we now arrive at “MileagePlus”.

The big changes for MileagePlus are essentially the need to reach 100,000 miles per year to enjoy full benefits (up from 75,000 miles), and ALL of your miles will now expire if you don't have activity on your account for 18 months.

The requirement to fly 100,000 miles to enjoy full benefits is an irritation. Only fly 99,999 miles and you are essentially relegated back to a second class flyer.

Expiring miles is a much bigger deal. All of my miles have been earned under the OnePass program, which stated that the miles would never expire. If United expires miles once earned as “miles that never expire”, I predict a class action suit will be forthcoming.